Any person who believes he or she has been discriminated against on the basis of race, color, or national origin by Ability Building Center (ABC) may file a Title VI complaint by completing and submitting the agency’s Title VI Complaint Form. ABC will fully investigate all complaints received no more than 180 days after the alleged incident.
- A certified letter acknowledging receipt of the complaint shall be mailed to the complainant within (10) business days. If more information is needed to resolve the case, ABC may also request this in the acknowledgment letter. The complainant will then have (10) business days upon receipt of the letter to supply the requested information. If ABC is not contacted by the complainant or does not receive the requested information within (10) days, the case may then be administratively closed. A case can be administratively closed also if the complainant no longer wishes to pursue their case.
- ABC will fully review the complaint and make every effort to do so in a timely fashion. A written record of all interviews conducted with the complainant, ABC staff, and any witnesses, shall be established.
- After ABC reviews the complaint, a letter shall be issued to the complainant within (60) days. This letter will be one of two types: a closure letter or a letter of finding (LOF). A closure letter summarizes the allegations and states that there was not a Title VI violation and that the case will be closed. An LOF summarizes the allegations and the interviews regarding the alleged incident, and explains whether any disciplinary action, additional training of the staff member, or other action will occur. If the complainant wishes to appeal the decision, he or she has (10) business days after receipt of the letter or the LOF to do so.
- A person may also file a complaint directly with the Federal Transit Administration, at FTA Office of Civil Rights, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, Washington, DC 20590.
- ABC will provide appropriate assistance to any complainant who may be limited in their ability to communicate in English.