Small Change Diaper Service is located in La Crescent, Minnesota. Small Change is operated by Ability Building Center (ABC) whose mission is to improve the lives of people in Southeastern Minnesota by providing rehabilitation and employment services for persons with disabilities and other special needs.
How Does Small Change Work?
You’ve made the decision that cloth diapers are the way to go for your baby and your planet. But how does it actually work?
First, determine how many cloth diapers per week you will need, then call us at (507) 895-8625 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to place your order. We will deliver the number you estimated for the first two weeks. Each week thereafter you will receive the same number of clean diapers that we picked up from you the week before. You do not need to be at home for pickups and deliveries.
Need more than you thought? No problem. You can call or email us to adjust the number at any time.
Next, sizes… We offer small and large. Newborns use the small size for 3 to 6 months. After that, your baby will need the larger size.
Fashion and function
We sell Pro-Wrap diaper covers in a variety of sizes, and highly recommend you purchase at least 5 covers. The more you have on hand, the more convenient it is – and the more stylish your baby will be!
Wraps cost $9 and are available in the following sizes:
Newborn – 6 to 10 lbs.
Small – 9 to 14 lbs.
Medium – 13 to 25 lbs.
Large – 24 to 35 lbs.
X-Large – 34 to 45 lbs.
Finally… Don’t forget the diaper pail
Our 54-quart diaper pail easily, conveniently, and most importantly odorlessly holds a week’s worth of diapers for a one-time cost of $23. The flip-top lid holds the included deodorizer disk, and we drop off a new pail liner and deodorizer disk with each fresh diaper delivery.
What does it cost?
|Count||1-week Cost||4-week Cost|
• Applicable sales tax will be added to all orders
• Any quantity in excess of 120/ week will be charged at .15 each
• Diaper Pails $23.00
• Velcro Diaper covers $9.00
How did Small Change come about?
In 1989 the laundry service began service in Houston and Winona counties in Minnesota, as well as the La Crosse, Wisconsin area. The business was originally purchased from a woman who had been running it out of a laundromat. FUnds donated by the Eagles Club paved the way for the purchase of commercial washers and dryers, and the operation moved to a one-room garage in La Crescent where weekly pickup and delivery services were added.
Small Change moved to its current location at 62 North 3rd St. in La Crescent in 1991. Out of this location we are able to serve more than 40 cloth diaper customers in Houston, La Crescent, Winona, Galesville, Holmen, Onalaska, West Salem, and La Crosse. The service now includes the laundering of towels, aprons, restaurant linens, and bar rags for local schools, cafes, and bars.
What’s the Big Deal About Using Cloth Diapers?
You will soon be making a very basic choice – whether to clothe your baby in the comfort of cotton diapers or package your baby in the chemicals of disposable diapers. Here are some reasons to consider a cloth diaper service like Small Change:
- Disposable diapers are made primarily of petrochemicals: polyethylene, plasticizers, acrylic-acid polymer salts, glues, dyes, and synthetic perfumes, all inside chemically-treated paper pulp.
- Cotton, on the other hand, is the most comfortable fabric known. It has a long history of healthy use, and its softness and breathability make it ideal for babies. Many millions of babies have thrived in it. So will yours!
- Cotton’s absorbency is natural and comfortable, while the absorbency in disposables comes from a chemical “gel” that draws at a baby’s skin.
- Because diapers are worn hour after hour and day after day, they are the most constant and important garment babies wear. The more you’re intent on doing your best by your baby, the more we think cotton has to offer.
- If you choose our service to bring cotton diapering to your baby, you can look forward to a level of convenience and service you will have to experience to believe. (You don’t even have to rinse the diapers your baby has used; just put them in the hamper and we’ll do the rest. No trash to deal with.)
- The welcome bonus is that babies diapered in diaper-service cotton wear diapers for a year less overall than disposable-diapered babies — 24-30 months average in our diapers as against 36-42 months in disposables.